The Mid-Atlantic Regional Office is seeking a student or youth volunteer to act as a Student Activist Coordinator (SAC) for Mid-Atlantic Regional Office. The SAC is an important volunteer position within the Amnesty International USA structure and is an excellent opportunity for young activists to become leaders and organizers not only on campuses, but in their local communities as well. As a SAC, you will deepen your knowledge of human rights issues locally and worldwide, as well as acquire valuable organizing and activist skills.
1. Cultivate positive working relationships with local groups
- Maintain monthly contact with student and youth groups to which you are assigned.
- Ensure that groups have a clear understanding of AI’s Mission and policies and are aware of current action opportunities.
- Assist groups in developing yearly goals, planning an action calendar, and developing and implementing fund-raising activities.
- Recruit and organize new members
- Empower other students and youth in leadership positions.
- Help build local networks between group activities and local coalitions engaged in human rights work.
- Encourage students and youth to become members and get involved in the AIUSA’s governance process.
2. Educate yourself about Amnesty International and its policy issues/decisions:
- Attend leadership training, State Meetings and Regional Conferences.
- Familiarize yourself with AI’s position on priority campaigns and key human rights issues through regional office mailings and regular visit to Amnesty websites: http://www.amnestyusa.org
What SACs Can Expect From the Regional Office:
- Training: We will work with you to meet all your training needs to help you be the best SAC you can possibly be.
- Materials and resources necessary to function as an SAC. This will include contact information for student groups and other AIUSA volunteer leaders.
- Prompt reimbursement for expenses incurred in carrying out the SAC responsibilities.
- Events and organization support by Regional Office staff upon request.
To Apply: please e-mail Jiva Manske (firstname.lastname@example.org) for MD, VA, and WV or Savannah Fox (email@example.com) for DC, DE, and PA!